Thursday, August 18, 2011

Improving Sibling Play

During the summer, I am a stay-at-home dad. When my wife works during the day, she takes the car and leaves me alone with three children under the age of 7. Oh, joyous rapture.

One of the annoying habits I have noticed is my oldest daughter's desire to direct the play of the younger children. She constantly tells the others how to play. Just this morning I hear: "No, you have to put the playhouse here," wafting from the bedroom upstairs. Soon wailing and screams pierce through the door. My 2 yr-old (girl) is in hysterics and my 5 yr-old son is slapping and kicking anything in reach. All three are crying. So much for the peaceful playtime.

Now two kids are in corners, the third on my lap. Again we have peace for a few minutes. All of this would have been avoided had the 7 yr-old kept her bossy mouth shut. [Insert FRUSTRATION noise here]

Then I get a sudden idea. In preparation for the next academic year, I was reading up on some Improvisational techniques for my Drama Class. One strategy to keep the improv fresh and energized is called "Yes, And." I briefly taught them the game. When one player makes a suggestion, the other player says "Yes, and. . . ." Then adds to the idea of the first player. It would sound something like this:

Let's go in through the tunnel. Yes, and lets have a party in the tent. Yes, and let's give gifts to the princess. Yes, and the prince will impress her with his heroic deeds like tumbling. Yes, and all the men will be invited to have a wrestling match. Yes, and the winner gets to dance with the princess. No, that's gross.

Or something like that. I think there was more maiming in their improv. But notice what happens when the 'no' is introduced. All the action comes to a screeching halt. The play time improved, but once again, the oldest became bossy and it launched into the kick fight from earlier. sigh It was fun to watch while it lasted.

What are some strategies you have used to quell bossiness?

No comments:

Post a Comment